Harvard Policies and Guidelines for Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Researchers

The table below provides information regarding research policies, along with designated organizations or staff members who can provide assistance or clarification with specific policies and guidelines. For a printable version, click here.



Policies and Guidelines


General research policies

What do I need to know before starting a research project at Harvard?

FAS Principles Governing Research

Patrick Fitzgerald


What are the 12 essentials I should know? Quick Guide for Researchers

Webb Brightwell

Do I need to sign any agreement when I do research at Harvard?

Harvard University Participation Agreement

Office of Technology Development

Where should I share a copy of my publications resulting from Harvard research?

FAS Open Access Policy (Digital Access to Scholarship at Harvard - DASH)

Office for Scholarly Communication


How do I manage my research data – whether it’s my own data or I receive it from another collaborator?

Harvard Research Data Security Policy; Research Data Management; Data Use Agreements System Support and Guidance


Data Use Agreements System

Are there restrictions for the use of Harvard’s name or logo in a research project?

Policy on the Use of Harvard Names and Insignias

Office of the Provost Trademark Program

Are there any lab safety measures or training requirements to consider?

FAS Environment and Safety Plan


Environmental Health and Safety

I would like to involve undergraduate students in my research.


Noël Bisson or Greg Llacer

What do I have to do if I suspect research misconduct?

Policy and Procedures for Responding to Allegations of Research Misconduct

Stacey Springs

How do I decide who should be listed as an author in my publication? Guidelines on Authorship and Acknowledgement Stacey Springs

Policies regarding consulting, industry collaborations, and international research

What should I consider when I engage in professional activities outside of Harvard?

FAS and University policies on outside activities; University Principles Governing Commercial Activities

Relevant Dean (appointment-related) or Kristen Harding (financial interest-related)

What if I get compensated directly by an outside organization for consulting, speaking, or advisory board service?

FAS policy and University policy on financial conflicts of interest (fCOI)

Kristen Harding

What do I have to be aware of when collaborating with industry or engaging in commercial activities?

University Principles Governing Commercial Activities; FAS Policies Relating to Research and Other Professional Activities Within and Outside the University

Relevant Dean (project approval) or

Kristen Harding (conflict of interest)

I have a non-Harvard visitor working with me in my lab.

Visitor Participation Agreements

Patrick Fitzgerald

I plan to send material or information to or travel outside of the US.

Export Controls Policies and Procedures; Export Control Policy Statement

Kristen Harding

I plan to participate in international research.

Harvard Global Support Services; Guidance for International Projects

Multiple (see Guidance)

Policies regarding federal or non-federal sponsored research

What policies apply to externally-funded research?

Office for Sponsored Programs (OSP) provides a comprehensive list of policies

OSP Policies

Do I need to disclose any of my non-Harvard affiliations to my sponsors?

Guidance for Faculty Disclosure; Federally-Funded Faculty Disclosure Requirements Kristen Harding

Policies regarding intellectual property and non-funded legal agreements

What do I have to know if my research results in an invention?

Intellectual Property Policy addresses inventions, copyright, royalties, licensing

Office of Technology Development IP Team

What do I need to do when I want to receive or share materials?

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)

Office of Technology Development MTA

I have been asked to sign a non-funded agreement (e.g., confidentiality, data use, non-disclosure).

Negotiating and Signing Authority for Agreements Related to Research provides the contact information for each type of agreement

Multiple (see Workflow)

Policies regarding research with human participants, animal subjects, or biohazardous material

What do I have to do before starting a project that involves human subjects?

Use of Human Subjects in Research


Committee on the Use of Human Subjects

I intend to use non-human vertebrate animals in my research.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Policies (Harvard Key access only)


What is the approval process for research involving embryonic stem cells?

Embryonic Stem Cell Research;

Oversight (ESCRO) Committee – Policies and Procedures

ESCRO or Melissa Lopes

My work involves recombinant DNA (rDNA) or biohazards.

Committee on Microbiological Safety (COMS) includes policies and link to submit new registration or amendment requests

COMS Staff Listing